Saturday, June 13, 2009

It's not about stress


I hear people talking about "stress" as if it's a problem.  I'm not an expert but I believe it's actually our level of resilience to certain events that can cause problems when we are less resilient. 

Selye's general adaptation syndrome helps explain how our resilience can cope for a period & the better our resilience, the longer our resistance.  (The 3 stages are Alarm , Resistance & Exhaustion) - You can read more about the model at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_(medicine)


Things that erode my resilience:
  • Pain
  • Tiredness
  • Illness
  • Loss
Things that build my resilience:
  • Sleep
  • Goals
  • Enjoyable activities
  • Movies
  • Music
  • Being with people I like
  • Constructive feedback
  • Learning
  • Spirituality
  • Physical activity
I'm going to continue to focus on building and maintaining my resilience.

No comments: