Saturday, January 10, 2009

The logistics of dying

When I saw some of the challenges my mother-in-law had to deal with, caring for her husband at home  who is terminally ill with a brain tumour, I searched for a solution to help with communication.

I thought there must be a tool that can assist with communication.

When I couldn't find anything, I developed a sheet that can be laminated & used to make communication easier.

The sheet deals with the basics such as:
  • What day it is.
  • What the meals will be.
  • When visitors will be welcome.
  • What events will be taking place that day.
  • Any notes.
The second page is a device to help with communication when the patient has difficulty with verbal communication.  It has letters, numbers, words and a scale to indicate responses.  

If you know someone who could benefit from this idea, please feel free to use it.  If you have any suggestions for improvements, please let me know.

No comments: