Sunday, May 6, 2007

Selling the sizzle, not the steak


Sure it's a cliche but Kevin Roberts repackaged the message to telling stories rather than giving information (see previous blog below)

There is a model that can help us do this called Johari's window.

One of my clients mentioned this model to me after I shared my story about how I was affected when my sister-in-law passed away on my birthday when she was only 29.

When I think about the memorable speeches I have heard, they have generally been stories. David Brooks, a world champion toastmaster tells us to tell a story, then make a point. If they remember the story, then they remember the point.

Some people don't think they have good enough stories (like conquering Mt Everest or winning a gold medal). My response is you're probably not looking hard enough or capturing moments that can be used to illustrate points.

Look for your stories that illustrate the points you are wanting to make.

No comments: